Christopher Maloney has been failing to impress the X Factor judges in recent weeks, earning himself the nickname ‘the karaoke king’, and tonight he did nothing to change the judges’ opinions when he performed one of ABBA’s most well-known hits.
Surrounded by semi-naked dancers with a backdrop of sparkling lights, the 36-year-old sang classic track Fernando, and although the song suited his singing style, it wasn’t enough to earn him positive praise from the judges, with Nicole Scherzinger telling him: “That was a lovely theatrical piece, it was beautiful. Very good vocals.
“It was a little bit of a snoozer for me but you do work very hard.”
Louis Walsh couldn’t help laughing during the performance and didn’t enjoy the performance at all, telling Christopher: “It was like something from the ABBA musical, and all those guys around you with their tops off – I’m just glad you kept your top on. Poor Fernando.”
Tulisa agreed with Louis and added: “It was creepy. I didn’t understand why all those people were around you. I was trying to stop myself from giggling and I found it almost funny. [Although] vocally I thought you sounded very good.”
Christopher’s mentor Gary Barlow was not impressed with the rest of the judges’ comments, however, and said: “Another great performance this week.
“I’m sorry about these comments. They really should be focusing on what they’re listening to which is what you’re singing. A brilliant performance.”
The singer didn’t seem to be too fazed by the negative comments this week, however, and joked that his laughable performance was Gary’s fault before telling host Dermot O’Leary: “I enjoyed it. I just tried to give the best performance that I could.”
Although the former call centre worker has been finding some of the criticism hard to take in recent weeks, he revealed earlier this week that he thinks he has a good chance of winning the show, telling The Daily Mirror: “I go out week after week and all I get is bad comments, but it’s so close to the final now I could win.
“I’m working harder than any other contestant probably ever in the competition.”
Last week the 36-year-old sang Bonnie Tyler’s Total Eclipse of the Heart and he got a mixed reaction from the judges.
With a performance of Lionel Ritchie’s Dancing on the Ceiling still to come from Christopher later in the show, let’s hope the former call centre worker manages to change the judges’ minds!
All the contestants’ performances will be available to download from iTunes after the eighth Live Show tonight (November 24).
You can save your favourite act by voting for them.
More About Christopher Maloney
- Christopher Maloney will take part in X Factor live tour
- Christopher Maloney shuns X Factor wrap party
- X Factor surprise: aXed Christopher Maloney pulls out of tonight’s final
- X Factor Grand final round-up: Final fling for Chris while Kylie dazzles.
- Christopher Maloney: "Don't be too upset, Nan, this is only the beginning"
- X Factor Grand final round-up: The stars come out to play as Chris leaves.
- Gary Barlow Rules the World with Christopher Maloney at X Factor final
- Christopher Maloney thinks he could win X Factor
- X Factor's Gary Barlow says Christopher Maloney is lovely, sweet man
- X Factor: Louis Walsh says Christopher Maloney is like Cilla Black