James Arthur stunned the X Factor judges this week with his soulful performance of Frankie Valli’s classic hit Can’t Take My Eyes Off You during the seventh week of the Live Shows.
The ladies man made the judges go weak at the knees with his tender take on the romantic show tune which was stripped down to simply feature James and his acoustic guitar.
The 24-year-old’s impressive voice was perfect for the track and the judges were full of praise for the delighted singer, with Louis Walsh telling him: “Every week you come out and you pick a brilliant song and you do it the James Arthur way. What ever happens in the competition you will get a record deal!”
Tulisa also loved his heartfelt performance and said: “Even though it was Guilty Pleasure week, this was one of your coolest, most credible performances to date.”
Gary Barlow was full of praise for James and revealed to a shocked audience that he had an X-tra soft spot for the singer.
“Putting my category aside, and I shouldn’t say this, but I want you to win,” he gushed. “I think your brilliant. I love everything about you and if I was at home right now I would be voting for you.”
With such a revelation, mentor Nicole Scherzinger couldn’t keep the smile off her face and she added: “When you sing we can’t take our eyes off you. You’re mesmerising, you stripped everything away and you’re so inspiring.”
James was delighted with the judges’ comments and said: “I don’t know if we’ve had something this live before. I wanted to do an unplugged thing on the show and it was great.”
Dermot then asked the modest singer how he felt about the praise coming from the judges. “I’m just very humbled by it [the praise],” he said. “It doesn’t sink in until afterwards.”
James has been one of the favourites to win the competition right from the beginning, and during week two of the Live Shows he got so emotional following his performance of Mary J Blige’s No More Drama that he suffered an anxiety attack and an ambulance had to be called.
Last week James performed a captivating rendition of Adele’s Hometown Glory earning him glowing comments from all four of the judges.
With the competition getting more and more intense each week, has James done enough to keep him in the competition?
Tune into X Factor on STV and ITV on Sunday night to find out.
You can download James Arthur’s performances from the Live Shows from iTunes
More About James Arthur - the winner
- X Factor champ James Arthur eyes up seXy dancers on tour
- X Factor star James Arthur thanks fans for return to number one
- JLS stars praise James Arthur and talk Prince William baby advice
- James Arthur has written songs for One Direction
- X Factor winner James Arthur wants to work with Jahmene Douglas
- One Direction lads are so 'down to earth' says James Arthur
- James Arthur's Impossible is fastest-selling X Factor debut of all time
People who read this story also read
- Ella Henderson proves she’s the one that we want with Grease rendition
- X Factor's Jahmene Douglas displays 'ridiculous talent' in Live Show 7
- X Factor’s Gary Barlow shocks as he tips ‘brilliant’ James Arthur to win
- X Factor contestants to give into their Guilty Pleasures on Live Show seven
- Union J break young hearts with Call Me Maybe on X Factor Live Show