James Arthur left the X Factor judges stunned when he performed a soulful rendition of Adele’s Hometown Glory during the sixth week of the Live Shows.
Hitting the stage, complete with his trusty guitar, the singer put a unique spin on the beautiful song, jazzing things up at the end with some groovy beats.
The 24-year-old’s impressive voice was perfect for the song, and the judges were full of praise for the delighted singer, with Louis Walsh telling him: “James, you remind me of Professor Green. I think you’re a brilliant interpreter of great songs.”
Tulisa also loved the performance and said: “You always put your own unique spin on things. I’m wishing and hoping with this show for the public to embrace an act like you who’s talented and incredible. I’m happy to be on the panel while you’re here.”
Gary Barlow was full of praise for James said: “Adele is such an amazing and talented artist that no one should ever cover her sings, except for you.
“Most of the acts here are a work in progress, except for you. Your talent is absolutely incredible, well done.”
Mentor Nicole Scherzinger couldn’t keep the smile off her face as she told James: “You took the legendary Adele and freaked it. You are the future of music and you take the real love and passion and come back with a phat beat like that. You, my love, are the best of British.”
James was delighted with the judges’ comments and said: “I’m glad it went down well. I was the first to say I am not touching an Adele song unless I can do this.
“I have a great mentor and want to thank Nicole for everything.”
James has been one of the favourites to win the competition right from the beginning, and during week two of the Live Shows he got so emotional following his performance of Mary J Blige’s No More Drama that he suffered an anxiety attack and an ambulance had to be called.
Last week James performed a rousing rendition of No Doubt’s Don’t Speak complete with a rap in the middle, earning him glowing comments from all four of the judges.
With the competition getting more and more intense each week, has James done enough to keep him in the competition? Tune into X Factor on STV and ITV tomorrow night to find out.
All the contestants’ performances will be available to download from iTunes after the sixth Live Show tonight (November 10).
You can save your favourite act by voting for them.
More About James Arthur - the winner
- James Arthur: You’re Nobody single is a 'reintroduction to me'
- James Arthur tips Girls on X Factor & talks sweet making music with Nicole
- X Factor champ James Arthur eyes up seXy dancers on tour
- X Factor star James Arthur thanks fans for return to number one
- JLS stars praise James Arthur and talk Prince William baby advice
- James Arthur has written songs for One Direction
- X Factor winner James Arthur wants to work with Jahmene Douglas
- X Factor’s James Arthur out of his ‘confidence zone’ without guitar
- Emeli Sandé hopes to work with James Arthur
- X Factor's James Arthur flirting with Jodie Marsh