Having the family round this weekend for a Sunday roast?
Never fear, Gino D'Acampo is here with an easy-to-make pot roasted whole chicken for you to cook.
There is even chorizo in it for that extra kick!
Follow the recipe below to try it for yourself.
And if you do make this, or any of the other dishes from Let’s Do Lunch, send us a picture!
Ingredients and method may vary slightly on live TV show.
- 1 x 1.6kg free range chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 4 chorizo sausages, cut into chunks
- 200ml chicken stock
- 2 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g tin cannellini beans
- A pinch of sugar if needed
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
For parmesan polenta
- 350ml chicken stock
- 250ml milk
- 250g instant polenta
- 75g butter
- 75g grated parmesan
- Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 220oC. Place the chicken on a roasting tray and roast for 30 minutes until the skin is golden brown.
While the chicken is colouring, add the olive oil to a deep casserole dish. Fry the onions and chorizo for 5 minutes.
When the chorizo has taken on some colour stir in the smoked paprika. Cook for 30 seconds then pour in the stock and tinned tomatoes. Simmer gently for five minutes.
Once the chicken is golden brown remove it from the oven and place it on top of the sauce. Cover it with a lid.
Reduce the oven temperature to 180oC then place the casserole dish into the oven and roast the chicken for one hour.
After one hour, remove from the oven, take the chicken out and place on a board. Leave to rest for 10 minutes. Place the sauce on the hob and add the beans. Allow them to warm through then season the sauce and scatter over the parsley.
Bring the milk and stock to the boil. Add the polenta and whisk until thickened. As it comes to the boil again take care as it will spit at you. Keep stirring for four minutes then remove from the heat and stir in the butter and parmesan, season with salt and pepper.
Carve the chicken and serve with the sauce and creamy polenta.
More About Let's Do Lunch with Gino and Mel l STV
- Let's Do Lunch: slow roasted belly of pork with creamy cannellini beans
- Let's Do Lunch: Pastilla
- Let's Do Lunch: Lemon and green olive roast chicken
- Let's Do Lunch: Pasta with spinach, watercress and rocket pesto
- Let's Do Lunch: Chicken Biryiani
- Let's Do Lunch: Griddled peach salad and mozzarella wrapped in pancetta
- Let's Do Lunch: Caribbean spiced monkfish with mango salsa