Gino D’Acampo is back and this week on his Italian Escape he’s in Bari, cooking up pasta.
But this is not just any pasta: this is orecchiette with broccoli and tomatoes.
Gino explained: “I grew up eating orecchiette, the typical pasta shape of Puglia.
“The name translates as ‘little ears’, which is exactly what the shape resembles. Italian grandmothers traditionally make the pasta by hand, shaping it while having a good old chat.
“The hollow in the little ears perfectly entraps whatever sauce they are served with.”
Fancy making the recipe: ear it is! Get it? Sorry...
6 TABLESPOONS OLIVE OIL
1 GARLIC CLOVE, PEELED AND FINELY CHOPPED
1 SMALL RED CHILLI, DESEEDED AND FINELY CHOPPED
6 SMALL CHERRY TOMATOES, QUARTERED
2 TABLESPOONS FINELY CHOPPED FRESH PARSLEY
200G BROCCOLI FLORETS
SALT AND BLACK PEPPER TO TASTE
40G FRESHLY GRATED PECORINO CHEESE TO GARNISH (OPTIONAL)
Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the garlic, chilli and tomatoes and fry for 2–3 minutes until the tomatoes are softened. Stir in the parsley.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water until 1 minute away from being al dente. At that point, add the broccoli florets and cook for 1 minute. Drain the mixture and add it to the sauce. Mix well and season to taste.
Pile the pasta into serving bowls or deep plates, and grate some Pecorino over it, if desired.
More About Gino's Italian Escape
- Gino D’Acampo’s bread stuffed with salami, cheese and vegetables
- Gino D’Acampo’s cannellini beans on bruschetta
- Gino D’Acampo’s cherry tiramisu recipe
- Gino D’Acampo’s pasta with salmon in arrabbiata sauce
- Gino D’Acampo’s lamb cutlets in honey sauce, with fennel salad
- Gino D’Acampo’s pasta carbonara recipe
- Gino D’Acampo’s orecchiette with broccoli and tomatoes
- Gino D’Acampo’s Carpaccio of beef with gremolata
- Gino D’Acampo’s chicken in breadcrumbs with pizza sauce
- Gino D’Acampo’s lemon and limoncello mousse recipe