With the added pressure of being the bookies’ favourite, Beth Tweddle showed why she was the pick of the bunch in her first performance on Dancing on Ice
Gymnast Beth, who was one of the heroes of Team GB at the London 2012 Olympic Games, has been tipped by many to eventually win this year’s competition. With her partner Daniel Whiston, himself a former two time winner of the show, it was easy to see why there is so much hype around the couple.
Dancing to Anything Can Happen by Ellie Goulding, Beth displayed the flexibility and strength that have made her an Olympic bronze medallist.
And the judges were suitably impressed awarding her 21 points after her own unique move, the Tweddle tip
Karen Barber said: “That was amazing. I’m so excited to see you progress.”
Jason Gardiner was his usual acerbic self. He said: “Unfortunately tonight I was bored to death.” He criticised her performance saying: “It was very robotic.”
Head judge Robin Cousins said: “I saw a gymnast ice skating.”
New judged Ashley Roberts finally added: “You were amazing tonight. I wanted to see a little bit more fierceness, I want to see that sassiness come out.”
Coach Christopher Dean also praised Beth’s consistency.
The 27-year-old from Bunbury in Chesire appeared delighted at the judges’ comments. Heading into the competition, Beth had been cautious about her gymnastics background being an advantage.
She said: “My first biggest task is breaking away from my natural stance in gymnastics. I was told I needed to change my position as it’s totally opposite to what I’ve trained in.”
With a fantastic opening performance and the public in support of her, the Olympian looks set for a long charge into the series.
More About Beth Tweddle
- Beth Tweddle reveals she is overwhelmed by Dancing on Ice win
- Dancing on Ice 2013 final: Round-up as Beth Tweddle crowned skating Queen
- Dancing on Ice 2013 final: action round-up as Beth Tweddle named champion
- Dancing on Ice 2013 final: Beth Tweddle secures victory over Matt Lapinskas
- Beth Tweddle aims for gold with Dancing on Ice Bolero routine
- Beth shows she's still no clown after 'beautiful' performance
- Beth brings attitude and sass to tonight's final with showcase routine